Most people have a jar of honey in their kitchen. After reading below, I guarantee a bottle will end up in your cosmetics drawer. Researching the benefits of honey has made it a staple in my facial routine for the last five years. "Bee" ready to learn about the health benefits of honey.
Honey is as natural as you can get. Made through enzyme activity, plant matter and live bacteria (the good kind), its properties help your body inside and out. However, to really reap the benefits, raw and unpasterurized honey, basically from hive to jar, is best. The processed honey you find most often loses many of its health properties through the heat of pasteurization. Look for honey that is labeled "raw, unpastuerized, and unfiltered". Believe it or not, seeing those floating particles of honey comb is a good thing.
Below lists the top ten benefits of honey:
10. It moisturizes skin, making it oh so soft.
9. Brightens the skin. It gently exfoliates, sloughing off dead skin cells.
8. Fades acne scars by increasing cell turnover
7. Expedites healing by reducing inflammation
6. Alleviates acne by balancing bacterial growth
5. Minimizes eczema outbreaks and psoriasis
4. Sooths irritated throats, minimizing coughs and promoting restful sleep
3. Locally sourced honey can desensitize allergic reactions during allergy season
2. Improves cholesterol levels and reduces triglycerides
1. It is rich in antioxidants, reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke
Are you convinced yet? Read next week's article to find out how exactly to use this natural healer, the different types of honey, and which type is best for you. Until then, have a safe, healthy and very merry Christmas!
Accessed December 22, 2020, www.shutterstock.com